Guelph Hydro is moving to monthly billing
Starting in November, under a mandate by the Ontario Energy Board, Guelph Hydro will begin billing residential and small commercial customers in Guelph and Rockwood monthly instead of every other month.
- Note: Although some commercial customers have been on monthly billing for some time, small businesses that currently pay their bill every two months will also begin receiving a monthly bill.
Monthly billing will make it easier for you to manage your electricity bills because you can budget for payments monthly, rather than bi-monthly. And, because you will be receiving your bills more frequently, you will have more of an opportunity to monitor your electricity use and make changes, if desired, if your consumption is higher than desired.
What do I have to do to prepare for monthly billing?
- Customers who are on Guelph Hydro's regular billing plan will receive a bill every month indicating their new payment due date. Payments made by mailing a cheque, in person at a remote payment location, or through a bank take three to five business days to reach Guelph Hydro. Customers should take this delay into account when paying their monthly bill to ensure their payment is made on time and to avoid reminder notices.
- Customers who are on Guelph Hydro's Pre-Authorized Payment plan will have their payment to Guelph Hydro processed through their bank account on a monthly basis instead of bi-monthly according to the due date on their bill.
- Customers who are registered for Guelph Hydro’s Equal Payment Plan will be contacted to choose a new date for their bank account to be debited every month which will be aligned with the new billing period.
There will be a short transition period while customers are migrated to the new billing cycles. This means that some customers will receive a bill in November which reflects a billing cycle of approximately 60 days; however, the next bill (in December) will reflect the new monthly billing cycle of approximately 30 days.
What can I do to make managing my electricity bills even easier?
Guelph Hydro offers a variety of options to make managing and paying your electricity bills easier:
- You can register for MyEnergy View, which provides you with 24/7 access to your Guelph Hydro account and lets you track your daily, weekly, monthly and annual consumption, and view past bills.
- You can sign up for ebilling, which will minimize the amount of paper coming into your home. As a bonus, for every 10 customers who sign up for ebilling, Guelph Hydro will plant a tree through Trees for Guelph!
- You can register for Pre-Authorized Payment so that monthly payments to Guelph Hydro are automatically deducted from your bank account.
- You can register for Guelph Hydro’s Equal Payment Plan, which makes budgeting for electricity even easier because it spreads the annual cost of electricity bills over 12 equal payments.
For more information about monthly billing or any of the payment options listed above, contact Guelph Hydro customer service Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. by telephone at 519.822.3010, or use the Online Chat Function.