Skip to content

Storm Damage To Your Home

Photo of downed mastSevere weather can cause damage to electrical equipment attached to your home such as the masts and pipes pictured here. This equipment belongs to the homeowner and will need to be repaired to make it safe before Guelph Hydro can restore service.

Who Owns the Electrical Equipment Attached to My Home?

Typically, a homeowner’s ownership of electrical equipment begins where the wires attach to the house. This means the wire from the pole to the house is generally the utility’s, but the wires inside the mast/pipe, the mast, and those attached to and in the house belong to you. If this equipment is damaged, you need to arrange repairs before Guelph Hydro can safely reconnect power. You should start this process immediately.Photo of damaged electrical connection on home

For more information about these repairs and how to get started, please visit the Electrical Safety Authority website or consult this information sheet.

Hiring a Licensed Electrical Contractor to Perform Repairs

If you suspect or know of electrical damage to your property, hire a Licensed Electrical Contractor to assess the situation and make repairs. We strongly recommend you don’t attempt major electrical repairs yourself.

Note that in Ontario if you are hiring someone to do electrical work, they must be a Licensed Electrical Contractor. General handymen and other service providers cannot do this work. Using an unlicensed person will cause delays in power reconnection and may affect insurance claims.

To find a Licensed Electrical Contractor, go to  and click on ‘Find a Licensed Electrical Contractor in My Area.’ There are more than 7,000 in Ontario. Photo of damaged electrical connection on roof

Licensed Electrical Contractors are required to display their ESA/ECRA licence number on their work vehicle and paperwork. Look for it when you meet them.

Flood Damage

Burst pipes, burst or backed-up watermains, and other sources may cause flooding in your home. If there is water in your basement above the level of electrical outlets or near your electrical panel, contact Guelph Hydro to disconnect your power before you enter the basement.

Electrical equipment and wiring that has been exposed to water through flooding may be dangerous if re-energized without proper evaluation and reconditioning or replacement by qualified persons.

  • In the event that flood water has risen above outlets, covers powercords, or is near the service panel, contact Guelph Hydro to have the power disconnected to your home.
  • Ensure that the main power service in the house is in the “off” position until all electrical equipment has been tested and deemed safe.
  • Once power has been turned off or disconnected, contact a qualified electrician to determine if electrical equipment (wires, plugs) need to be replaced.
  • Do not plug in or attempt to use electrical appliances that have been wet until they have been checked or serviced by a licensed electrical contractor or service agency.

For detailed information about electrical safety in your home after a flood and for a list of qualified electricians, visit the Electrical Safety Authority website, please visit the Electrical Safety Authority website.


Designed by eSolutionsGroup