Start, Stop, Move Service

Select an option below to begin your move, transfer your service or close your account.

New Customers

Moving to a new home or office in Guelph or Rockwood? Review the information you will need to set up your account then select from the options below to set up a new account and schedule a date to start your service.

If you prefer to deal with a Customer Service Representative you can choose to chat online or call 519-822-3010. Our hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Excluding statutory holidays.)

Homeowner Tenant Student Landlord or Property Manager
Information Required to Set Up a New Account

Please have the following information available when calling or accessing the online application form to set up your account:

  • Name, email address and phone numbers of the customer to be billed
  • Name of joint account holder if applicable

Important: Guelph Hydro / Alectra Utilities is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information and will discuss account information only with the person whose name is on the account. We are unable to deal with lawyers, landlords, or other third parties without your express consent. Please let us know if you wish to add a second authorized name to your account such as your spouse or another family member, roommate or caregiver.

  • Address where the electrical service will be supplied including any unit number (service address)
  • Date service connection is required
  • If you are renting, the date the lease begins (not the move-in date)
  • Mailing address (if different from the service address)
  • Owner or tenant classification (if a tenant - please provide landlord's name)
  • Former address and final reading date (if applicable)
  • Employment information if applicable - name of employer, address and work phone number
  • Signature of responsible party and/or signing officer of company
  • One piece of identification i.e. number from government-issued photo identification such as your drivers' license, Canadian citizenship card, Canadian Permanent Resident card, etc., but not your health card
  • Signed form for Pre-Authorized Automatic Payment (optional)
  • Signed form for Equal Payment Plan (optional)

Plus one of the following

  • A letter of reference from a former electricity supplier
  • A credit report from either Equifax at 1-800-465-7166 or TransUnion Credit at 1-800-663-9980. There is a fee for this service.
  • security deposit which will be billed upon connection.

Note: An Account Set-Up fee of $8.75 plus tax will appear on your first bill.

For Condominiums or Multi-Unit Residential Premises
Change Name on Account

If you wish to change the name on your account, please contact our Customer Service Department to find out what documentation will be required.

Contact our Customer Service Department on Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Changing Addresses in Guelph or Rockwood?

Here are the steps you need to take to transfer your service to your new address:

  1. Fill in the form to Transfer service within Guelph/Rockwood to advise us of the date to transfer your service.
  2. Don't forget to fill in:
  • A new registration form for your Pre-Authorized Automatic Payment Plan
    • A new registration form for your Equal Payment Plan
    • Reapply for the Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP) using your new account number
      IMPORTANT: When completing the application, under “Utility Account Information”, select “GUELPH HYDRO ELECTRIC SYSTEMS INC.” as the Utility Provider and reference your 18-digit Utility Account Number found on your monthly statement.


If you prefer to deal with a Customer Service Representative, click to chat online or call 519-822-3010.

  • Our hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Please allow two business days for your service to be transferred
Closing Your Account - Moving out of Guelph or Rockwood

Cancelling your service online is easy.

  • Select the option below to tell us when you would like your residential service cancelled. If you are selling your house, the date should be your closing date. If you are renting, the date for your service termination should be the date your lease ends.
  • Please allow two business days for your service to be terminated so that we can arrange to take a final meter reading.
  • We will require a forwarding address in order to close your account and send you a final bill or cheque for any credit balance. 
  • Let us know if you require a letter of reference for your next electricity supplier.

If you prefer to deal with a Customer Service Representative, call 519-822-3010.

  • Our hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Note that accounts cannot be closed using the chat function on our website.

Close Residential Account


Request letter of reference for next electricity supplier

Request Service for New Construction
Apply online to request new electricity service for a building under construction.
Schedule Temporary Discontinuation of Service
Customers and contractors who require a temporary disconnection of service to safely upgrade electrical equipment or trim trees can submit their request online.